I made this for a dinner we were having at the house and it was a huge hit! Everyone was raving about how great it tasted… but get this… NO ONION AND NO GARLIC!
Yes. You heard me right. no onion and no garlic! My dad is the culprit for this type of cuisine. He does not eat onion or garlic, and on top of that? Vegetarian who doesn’t eat eggs. Yes. He’s a very difficult person to please sometimes with food! But regardless, it helps me create so many new dishes for him and for the rest of my family!
I used all fresh ingredients and did not use any canned purees. It tasted amazing! It was a little more work, but it was so worth it! The following pictures are some pictures of the process!
Ingredients for Potato and Peas Korma
- 5 medium to large size tomatoes made into a puree
- 1 cup of unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup of water (for peanut puree purposes); 4 cups of water for curry
- 1 tablespoon of ginger or one inch of ginger root cut into pieces
- 7 green tiger chillies
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or any other oil of your choice)
- 1 stick of cinnamon broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- 7 pods of cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 box of potatoes cut diced
- 1/2 package of frozen peas
- Handful of Cilantro
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala (for potatoes) and 1 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala for the sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of Red Chili Powder (for the potatoes) and 1 teaspoon of Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder (for the potatoes) and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder for the sauce
- Salt to taste (I add it in the end!)
Directions to make Potato and Peas Korma
- Add in oil in to a large sauce pot and add in cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaves. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- In the blender, add in diced tomatoes and make a puree. Set aside.
- Add in peanuts, ginger, and chillies with water and blend into a puree. Set aside.
- Add in peanut puree into the spices and allow it to cook for about 20 minutes or until it becomes a reddish color.
- Once the peanut puree comes to this consistency as the picture above, add in four cups of water, tomato puree, and simmer for 20 minutes!
- In a smaller pot, add in potatoes and boil the potatoes until for tender.
- On a baking sheet, spray with non – stick spray and place boiled diced potatoes. Add spices (garam masala, red chili powder, and turmeric). Mix together.
- Add in the spices (garam masala, red chili powder, and turmeric) into the sauce.
- Slowly add in potatoes into the sauce.
- Add in frozen peas.
- Add in Salt.
- Simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Top with heavy cream, butter, and cilantro!