This amazing breakfast/lunch/dinner food – I can’t. It’s super healthy and what I have grown up eating all my life! It’s a South Indian staple and I promise it is a very easy and very simple recipe that is worth the 10 minute baby sitting!
Upma is made from cream of wheat… to some it sounds kinda disgusting.. I know.. but the flavors marry so well that I promise it is worth it! Here’s a quick video below of the Upma bubbling away! 🙂
So how do we make this simple and yummy dish?
Ingredients for Upma
- 1 cup of cream of wheat
- 4.5 cups of water (add slowly)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of whole mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of white Urad daal (you can find this in the Indian Store in the dry daal section!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Split chana (split chickpeas)
- 3 red dried chilies
- 5 green tiger chilies (you can add more chilies if you want more spice!)
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Ghee (You can find this in the Indian store as well!)
- Lime slice
Here’s some step by step pictures below!
Directions to make Upma
- Add one tablespoon of oil, urad daal, split chana, red chilies, and mustard seeds.
- Allow it to get brown and the mustard seeds to start popping a bit.
- Add in green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, and the cream of wheat.
- Allow the cream of wheat to cook for about 2 minutes
- Add in the water slowly and allow for the cream of wheat to cook and bubble (like the video above!)
- Add the Ghee on top and allow it to melt and mix it in.
- Squeeze some lime juice (optional) on top and eat either plain or with your favorite chutney!