Oh slow cooker.. how you have my heart so much. This tomato sauce is something that I’ve made so many times on the stove and have just cooked it low and slow (WAYYYY before I owned a slow cooker)! This amazing sauce was made with the addition of veggie protein crumbs from LightLife.
They add not only depth, but a lot of flavor and of course, protein! It is so much healthier option than to eat store bought tomato sauce with all the sodium because I got to control how much salt I put in here.
Another bonus was the fact that I got to use fresh herbs! They withstood the cooking for the hours that I had it in there.
I promise the wait is worth it! 🙂
Ingredients for the Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 8-10 medium vine tomatoes diced
- 2 green peppers diced
- 1 16 oz package of white mushrooms diced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs of Thyme
- 2-3 sprigs of Oregano
- 1.5 cups of fresh Parsley
- 8-10 leaves of Basil
- 1.5 teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 package of Lightlife protein crumbs + 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt to taste
Directions to make Tomato Sauce
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker EXCEPT the Lightlife protein crumbs.
- Cook all ingredients for 4 hours on low setting.
- Place one teaspoon of oil and protein crumbs in a pan and brown them.
- In a blender, add the ingredients from the slow cooker and blend into a chunky sauce consistency.
- Add the chunky sauce and the protein crumbs into the slow cooker and let it cook for 4 more hours on low.
Voila! We have a great tomato sauce to eat with your choice of spaghetti! Below is a picture of the finished product. I used wheat thin spaghetti.