Remember that smoked pepper sauce I made a few posts back? Well that sauce definitely made a debut in this dish as well! I made these enchiladas about a month ago. If it’s not obvious already, I’m kinda obsessed with enchiladas. like VERY obsessed, so I will try to make anything enchilada-esque :).
These enchiladas are filled with some healthy ingredients and a small Indian spin. Promise they are REALLY good! Hope you enjoy them as much as my friends and I did!
I know there’s a lot of ingredients in this dish, but all of these ingredients are AMAZING together!
Ingredients for Enchiladas:
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes diced
- 2 jalapeños peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cups of baby kale
- 1 15 -oz can of black beans
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 cup of diced bella mushrooms
- salt to taste
- 1-2 cups of smoked pepper sauce (depending on how saucy you like your enchiladas)
- 1 28 – oz of Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup of Cojita cheese crumbles or shredded (your preference)
- 10 wheat flour tortillas
- Cilantro for garnish
Ingredients for White Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of 2% milk
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for White Sauce
- In a medium sauce pan, add butter and flour. Make a Roux
- Add in the milk and bring to a boil and simmer until a little thick
- Add in cheese and salt and black pepper.
- Set aside
Directions for Enchiladas and Filling
- In a large pan, add in oil and cumin seeds. Fry until fragrant on medium heat
- Add in sweet potatoes, jalapeños, mushrooms, and black beans.
- Add in garam masala, chili powder, and salt
- Mix ingredients together and cover the pan for about 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked thoroughly
- Add in kale and allow the kale to wilt.
- Turn off heat after 5 minutes and allow the mixture to cool
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the pepper sauce and the red enchilada sauce and mix together.
- TO ASSEMBLE ENCHILADAS:
- Coat a deep baking dish with non – stick spray and a little bit of the pepper sauce/red sauce mixture
- Add in about 1-2 scoops of filling into each tortilla
- Roll and place in pan next to each other
- Add white sauce on top and pepper sauce
- Add the Cojita cheese crumbles
- Bake at 350 deg F for 20 minutes
- ***OPTIONAL: Broil for about 2-5 minutes for extra baked goodness
- Garnish with cilantro!
- ENJOY 🙂