This dish. I just can’t even with the flavors. I first tasted something similar to this at a local Thai restaurant around home and literally could not stop dreaming about it, therefore I just HAD to recreate it in my own way!
Before having something similar to this, I wasn’t that much of a fan of sweet with spicy. Being super South Indian basically means spices on spices on spices. And MAYBE some sweet.. but more spices to be exact, therefore, my palate has always been a sucker for spicy foods more than having a sweet tooth. A spice tooth, if that’s a real thing :). This simple dish has so much flavor and I promise, it is worth it! Hope you all enjoy it!
Ingredients for Tofu Tacos and Salsa
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 1 package of flour tortillas – taco size (wheat or corn will do just as well!)
- 1/2 Papaya diced
- 2 Jalapeños seeded and diced (for the brave, keep the seeds in :))
- 1/2 sweet mango diced
- Handful of cilantro
- 2 sprigs of green onions
- 1 cup of broccoli, carrot and cabbage shredded mix (the coleslaw one will do as well!)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon of Thai Peanut Sauce (any brand name you like! I used Thai Kitchen)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of Sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon of Spicy Mayo
- 1 tablespoon of oil (any oil or spray you like! I found that Sesame oil gives dishes more depth, but in this recipe I used olive oil); need 1/2 teaspoon of oil to fry up the coleslaw as well in addition!
- Cut the tofu block into about 1/2 inch strips lengthwise.
- In a non-stick pan, add the oil and let it heat. Sear the tofu in the oil on all four sides until crispy.
- In the same pan, add about 1/2 teaspoon of oil and the coleslaw mixture. Fry for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the peanut sauce and allow it to cook and reduce down for about 5 minutes. Turn heat off and set aside.
- To prepare the salsa: add the papaya, jalapeño, mango, cilantro, black pepper and a pinch of salt in a bowl and mix together and set aside for about 15 minutes to allow for the flavors to marinate together.
- Assembling the Taco: On the tortilla of your choice, add the tofu pieces (I added about 2-3), and top the peanut sauce coleslaw with a generous spoon of salsa, Sriracha, spicy mayo, and spring onions!
- ENJOY this super easy and super fun meal 🙂