One of my family friends and I hadn’t seen each other in a long time. She texted me the other day and said, “hey I’m home! I want to start a blog too because it’s something that I’ve also wanted to do for so long and your blog inspired me to do it!” I have to say, that is the most touching thing to hear, especially as a new blogger! So she told me to come over and we decided to cook together to see what we would come up with!
We were both craving cauliflower. Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable. It is probably my favorite to add into anything and everything I eat. You can make pizza crusts, pasta sauces (which I’ve done and the recipe will be put up in the near future), and even as wings! (Like my very first blog post :)). Today we decided to make sesame cauliflower with tofu fried rice…and well I’ll have to say, this no egg dish is definitely VERY filling!
Ingredients for the Sesame Cauliflower batter:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cup of wheat flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of freshly diced ginger
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 scallions
- **optional 2 fresh Jalapeños
Ingredients for the Sesame Cauliflower sauce:
- 1 bottle of teriyaki sauce (and/or marinade of whatever brand you like)
- 1 cup of Low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper (you can add more to make it spicier… which i of course did!)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (untoasted)
Directions for Sesame Cauliflower:
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Combine flour, milk, black pepper, crushed red pepper, ginger and salt in a bowl for the batter.
- Put Panko bread crumbs in a separate bowl.
- Cover each floret generously with the batter and drop florets into the panko bread crumbs and cover with an even coat.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pre-sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place each floret as you coat them with the panko bread crumbs onto the sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450 deg F and bake for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time, Combine the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup, crushed red pepper, and sesame seeds in another bowl and set aside.
- Once 30 minutes have passed, take the florets out, coat each floret in the sauce and place them back onto the baking sheet and bake for another 5 minutes at 450 deg F.
- **Optional: For an extra crunch, broil florets for about 1-2 minutes! Keep an eye out! we burnt one of our batches (but it still tasted good :P).
- Top with scallions and serve with fresh jalapeños on the side!
Ingredients for Tofu Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons of canola oil
- 1 cup rice (any kind you like)
- 2 cups water (depending on how much water the rice calls for)
- 1 extra firm tofu package
- 1 medium size carrot diced
- 1/4 head of fresh broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 1 package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 inches of ginger minced
- 1 cup of low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
- 2 scallions
- **Optional: add 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper for more spice!
Directions for Tofu Fried Rice
- Put one cup of rice and two cups of water in a cooker and allow for the rice to cook separately
- Cut the tofu block into bite sized squares
- Add 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a medium size pan and on medium/high heat and fry the tofu squares until golden brown on each side.
- Take tofu out and set aside.
- Bring the heat down to medium. Add sesame oil in the same pan (no need to clean it!) and the diced onion, ginger, and garlic. Allow this to cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent
- Add in broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms and allow for them to cook with lid on for about 10 – 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the cup of soy sauce, black pepper, and crushed red pepper (optional).
- Allow this to cook for about 2 minutes
- Add in cooked rice and combine all ingredients.
- Top with scallions