Happy New Year everyone!
So just for fun I thought I would experiment and make a video this time with my recipe :). I was craving Korean food and of course it’s hard to make Bipimbap at home without a stone bowl, therefore the second best thing? Fried rice! So I added a few twists to it because I was also craving a BBQ type flavor. WARNING: this fried rice is super spicy! If you don’t like spice at all, eliminate all the spice and just use the Korean spice blend at least as an alternate!
Ingredients for fried rice:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup diced Vidalia onions
- 1 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup broccoli slaw (consists of red cabbage, broccoli, and carrots – I found this at the supermarket already pre-shredded so it saved me the hassle of doing it myself!)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup green onions/scallions diced
- 1 cup bok choy leaves cut
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- **OPTIONAL: salt to taste (I didn’t really add extra salt because a lot of these chili sauces have salt already in them! be aware!)
- 1 morning star Hickory BBQ riblets (vegetarian) package diced
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 Korean spice mix
- 2 cups of cooked rice (your choice of rice!)
Ingredients for sauce:
- 1/2 cup of Lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Sicuan chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Sambal chili
- 2 teaspoons of rice wine vinegar
Directions for sauce:
- Combine all ingredients and mix together
Ingredients For Fried Egg:
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- pinch of crushed red pepper
Directions for Fried Rice:
This time, I made a YouTube Video with the directions just for fun! Directions are also written below the link 🙂
- Add two tablespoons of oil to the medium sauce pot
- Add the diced vidalia onions and fry for 3 minutes
- Add the green peppers, ginger paste, and garlic paste and fry for about 3 minutes
- Add the broccoli slaw, carrots and peas, bok choy, and green onions. Fry for 5 minutes together
- Take out the cooked veggies and put them in a bowl and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of oil.
- Add the diced BBQ riblets to the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the Korean spice and crushed red pepper to the riblets. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the pre-cooked veggies to the pot. Mix together.
- Add the sauce and allow for the sauce to reduce with the veggies for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and allow it to cook for 10-12 minutes.
- **Optional: in a hot pan, add non-stick spray, crack 1 egg with yolk. Add salt and crushed red pepper and sprinkle on the egg. Fry egg on both sides!
- **Optional: Add fried egg on top
- Enjoy! 🙂