Being a Harry Potter nerd from day 1, (basically still waiting for my letter to Hogwarts :P) making these cupcakes brought back a lot of memories of how much the Harry Potter series has been a part of my late childhood. Although I still haven’t been to Harry Potter World in Florida, it does not stop me from making these little mini packages of heaven!
The sweatshirt I bought as well just shows how much of a HP lover I am!
Now for the biggest secret, there are no eggs in this recipe! This was perfect to make for my family and my family friends because my parents do not eat eggs due to dietary restrictions, therefore they were a hit with the adults as well!
- 1 box of super moist yellow cake mix (I found I liked the Betty Crocker kind better than others that I tried)
- 1 – 12 oz bottle of Cream Soda (Jones preferably – would suggest vanilla, but if you can’t find vanilla, the plain flavor will do)
- 1 tsp of butter flavoring
For the filling (butterscotch ganache):
- 1 – Tollhouse package of butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
For the frosting:
- 1 package (16 oz) of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of butter flavoring
- 1/4 cup of the butterscotch ganache
- A splash of milk just to get it to a frosting consistency (if needed)
I usually make mini cupcakes and this recipe allows me to make about 30 mini cupcakes depending on how generous I am with the batter in each cupcake hole!
- Mix the ingredients well and place about two tablespoons worth of batter into each cupcake hole in a pre-butter cupcake pan or line the cupcake pan with cupcake baking cups to fill the batter in!
- Bake at 350 deg F for about 10 – 12 minutes, depending on your oven. I check it at about 10 minutes with a toothpick and estimate from there.
- For the ganache: Pour the package and the heavy cream into a mixing bowl and heat for about 1-2 minutes on high heat in a microwave. Mix the ingredients well together and set aside to cool. Once cool, but not hardened, place mixture into a plastic ketchup type bottle for ease of filling the cupcakes!
- For frosting: mix all ingredients in a bowl and fill a pastry bag up with a tip of your choice to frost the cupcakes once cooled!
To assemble everything together:
- Once the cupcakes are cooled enough to touch, take the bottle with the ganache filling and place the tip of the tube about 2/3 of the way in and fill the cupcake with the ganache filling. Try to be gentle and do not overfill! Tip: As I squeeze the ganache filling into the cupcake, I simultaneously lift the bottle slowly to remove the tip. It helps with controlling how much filling goes into the cupcake!
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy! Hope these are just as much a hit as they were for my family! 🙂