Yesterday, after a long and draining week, I decided to re-experiment with a recipe that my friend and I threw together last year when she had very limited resources in her fridge, and we were too lazy to go shopping for groceries. I added some ingredients to the avocado pesto this time around, but nonetheless, sometimes less is more! I’m a huge leaf person, so I add the greens wherever I can, but if you chose to pick one of these types of greens to use as a majority, it will taste just fine regardless!
For Zucchini Noodles:
- Spiralize OR cut Zucchini into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- Pinch of salt
DIRECTIONS: Cook in a teaspoon of oil for about a minute or two, then add about a 1/4 of a cup of water and a pinch of salt to let all the water from the Zucchini cook out and soften to get noodle – like consistency.
For Avocado Pesto:
- 2 Avocados (I made a large amount to use overtime with eggs, toast, and etc., but one avocado does the trick as well! Adjust the ingredients below to the amount you wish to make!)
- 2 Jalapeños with seeds – I love my spicy food, but the avocado to me also has no taste, so it’s your choice on how much spice and if you would like to rib the jalapeños or not!
- 1 cup of Fresh Parsley
- 1 cup of Fresh Organic Spinach
- 1/2 cup of Fresh mint
- 1/2 cup of Fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup of Pine Nuts
- 1 cup of Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/3 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Can take more, can take less – depends on how ripe the avocados are! Adjust accordingly.)
- 1 package of pre-cut Bella Mushrooms
- 1 Medium Red Onion diced
- 5-6 Sundried Tomatoes
- 1-2 medium/large cloves of fresh Garlic
- Salt to taste
- OPTIONAL: Goat cheese crumbles
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper on top!
- Combine Avocados, Jalapeños, Parsley, Spinach, Mint, Basil, Pine Nuts, Parmesan Cheese, and EVOO in a blender til a smooth creamy consistency.
- In a pan, roast the pine nuts for a few minutes, until oils have released, and combine the pine nuts into the pesto and blend until smooth creamy consistency again.
- In a separate pan, put 1/4 teaspoon of EVOO or any cooking oil of your choice, and fry up the diced red onions, fresh garlic, and Bella mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt to help with cooking process. Should take about 10 – 15 minutes until mushrooms soften and onions are translucent/brown in color
- Add in the sundried tomatoes and cook out for about 2 minutes.
- Add the amount of pesto you wish and warm through.
- Combine with Zucchini Noodles
- OPTIONAL: top with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and goat cheese crumbles